Sunday, January 3, 2010

Introducing Something New

Over the holiday break, I have been putting together the outline for my upcoming workshop, Resolution Solution 2010. I am introducing the 8 Limbs of Yoga to those who attend as well as basic meditation techniques and an introduction to the chakras. It is one thing to comprehend something yourself, but to put it in a forum for those who have never even heard of a chakra or The Eight Limbs is something else entirely. I must admit though, on the fresh side of the new year, I am feeling invigorated about my own personal practice. Rereading the material I was taught with and discovering the many other interpretations of that same philosophy, I am downright excited to feel the seeds of discovery sprouting their little heads in mine. My students, up to this point have experienced what I call 'Western Yoga.' Western yoga is more about the physical part of yoga, although in my classes, I attempt to bring the mysticism that eastern philosophy provides. But as I am writing my notes and marking pages of reference, I begin to see insights that had escaped me previously. I am not at all surprised however. Reading just about anything lends itself to rediscovery at different stages in life as our cones of perception broaden and concepts that were at one time baffling suddenly come into glaring focus. Make no mistake, yoga is a spiritual path and it will lead you to some pretty insightful stuff if you will allow it. As for me, I am rededicating myself to the Eight Limbs. For those of you unfamiliar with what I'm talking about, here is a brief explanation;
The Limbs are as follows:
1.Yama, Attitudes toward our environment-the ethics of non-violence, restraint from lying, stealing and greed.
2.Niyama, Attitudes towards ourselves-cleanliness, serenity, study, devotion and asceticism.
3.Asana, Posture practice-positioning of the body while incorporating the breath to achieve a greater awareness in the mind.
4.Pranayama, Breath-control-energizing and balancing of the mind-body through the stilling and flow of breath and prana.
5.Pratyahara,Sense withdrawal-relaxation and internalization of the senses in order to activate the mind.
6.Dharana, Concentration-focusing and holding of the attention.
7.Dhyana, Meditation-prolonged concentration fills the whole consciousness.
8.Samadhi,Ultimate state of self-realization-absorbed concentration leads to the "awakened" state, or liberation.
(Living Yoga, Creating a Life Practice, 2002)
I could speak for hours on just the yama's, so this will truly be just an introduction. I think people need to do the real research themselves to fully integrate the teachings of anything new to them. The whole point of any text, new or ancient is to find yourself in its' pages. Christy Turlington wrote, "Self-realization is just that, self-realization. Guidance should be welcomed, but not without some ringing of truth within us. Not everything we are taught is always appropriate for us." I love that. It cracks me up when people say that they are able to be completely objective about anything. I'm not saying that you can't be objective, I'm just saying that your very being is a compilation of your experiences, past and present. It is impossible to not be influenced by your experiences and the thoughts and attitudes that surround them. That is what makes you, well...you. So read and philosophize and integrate and question. Make whatever it is that interests you your own. You need not look into anyone else's mind for an answer to any question. If we are patient and still, God will whisper in our ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment